[Milton-L] Milton and St. Peter's Basilica

Alice Berghof aberghof at uci.edu
Sun Jul 3 18:09:15 EDT 2005

On page 33 of Roland Mushat Frye's Milton's Imagery and the Visual
Arts, in the chapter entitled "Milton's Awareness of the Visual Arts"
the author states that Milton saw St. Peter's.  This follows an
intriguing discussion of a contested manuscript (most likely Sir Henry
Wotton's) on statues.  Four other texts to consult are the following.
I apologize for my lack of detailed knowledge in this case.  Diane
Kelsey McColley undoubtedly knows the answer...  Here are a few texts
you might consult:
Milton in Italy: Contexts, Images, Contradictions, edited by Mario A.
Di Cesare
Milton, Mannerism and Baroque by Roy Daniells
Milton and Raphael by Mindele Anne Treip
and, of course, A Gust for Paradise by Diane Kelsey McColley.

By the way, are you interested in forming a panel on Milton and the
visual arts for any upcoming conferences?

Alice Crawford Berghof