[Milton-L] Milton and St. Peter's Basilica

Lewis H Whitaker lhwhitaker at gsu.edu
Sun Jul 3 17:52:24 EDT 2005

Dear colleagues:

I'm revisiting a project that I've not touched in some time, and finding
some holes in my research. Of course, having put things off until the
last minute I've not planned (as I should) for running down details and
checking facts.

I'm wondering if someone might know if there is some record of Milton
touring St. Peter's Basilica when he visited Rome in 1638. On one hand
we often say "no one goes to Rome without visiting St. Peter's" but I'd
prefer to have something factual to back up my claims.

Can anyone help?

Lewis H Whitaker
Department of English
Georgia State University