[Milton-L] Milton's Satan-my first impressions

James Rovira jrovira at drew.edu
Sun Feb 20 17:22:37 EST 2005

I should have qualified my previous comments a bit -- Shelley, in his
preface to _Prometheus Unbound_, sees these faults in Satan so chooses
Prometheus for his hero rather than Satan.  Byron's Satan in _Cain_ very
much resembles Milton's Satan in PL in parts, esp. the speech about
self-creation, while Blake's Satan is worked into a very different
mythological scheme, and seems different in _Jerusalem_ than the devils
in _Marriage of Heaven and Hell_ -- he appears to me to be a more
sympathetic character in MHH than _Jerusalem_.

Jim