[Milton-L] Milton's Satan-my first impressions

Rose Williams rwill627 at cox.net
Sun Feb 20 14:44:23 EST 2005

Dear Maria Ana,
I thoroughly enjoyed reading your post. Don't apologize for your English; very few 20 year olds handle a second (or perhaps third) language so well.
I think your discussion touches the main argument that has always surrounded the interpretation of Satan in Paradise Lost -- that he is by far the most arresting character in it.
Milton, like you, had grown up with classical literature, and I believe he like you was a bit uncomfortable with
absolutes, including absolute perfection. The classical gods all had their flaws and their blind spots -- they were truly antropromorphic and were beloved of men partially for that reason. It is very hard for us to identify with and cheer for.God, who cannot make a mistake, cannot die, and cannot lose the great battle. Only when we are spiritually and emotionally mature enough to realize that to lose one's child is worse than death can we at last feel God's pain.
Satan also possesses a classic heroic attribute you mention -- that of fighting for a goal he has no hope of achieving.
There is something superb in this that evokes our admiration. In addition, he was the world's best literary example of an underdog -- a character with whom mankind is predisposed to sympathize. As I have said before, he is in the beginning attractive. Only when we mature enough within the poem do we see the destruction he intends to wreak upon the helpless. To attack those too foolish or weak to resist, because this is the only way he can wound the powerful Deity who loves them, is a despicable act unworthy, in my opinion, of the admiration of the Romantics or anyone else.
Rose Williams