[Milton-L] Satan

Matthew Stallard ms493101 at ohio.edu
Wed Feb 16 10:57:40 EST 2005

	I tend to read the generous development of Satan's character taking place
early in the epic diegesis as a means for Milton to mitigate the
sinful/"missing the mark" actions of Adam and Eve. The Hebrew text of the
Genesis narrative by contrast, aside from Satan's brief but dense
rhetorical flourish in Genesis chapter three, does nothing to suggest the
appearance of nobility (faux or vrai) in the serpent. I suppose one could
make a case that the serpent's designation "more subtil than anie beast of
the field" suggests a cautious and perhaps disingenuous spirit. "Subtil" is
a rendering of ARUWM which suggests a qualitative cunning, craftiness, or
prudence.
	More likely, though, the glosses of the 1530 Geneva Bible do more to
condition the response of the Calvinist reader. On verses 1-5: "As Satan
can change himselfe into an Angel of light, so did he abuse the wisdome of
the serpent to deceaue man. God suffered Satan to make the serpent his
instrument and to speake in him. In douting of Gods threatning, she yelded
to Satan. This is Satans chiefest subtiltie, to cause vs not to feare Gods
threatenings. As thogh he shulde say, God doeth not forbid you to eat of
the frute, saue that he knoweth that if you shulde eat thereof, you shulde
be like to him."

Matthew

Matthew Stallard
Ohio University
Department of English
347 Ellis Hall
Athens, OH 45701
matthew.s.stallard.1 at ohio.edu

--On Tuesday, February 15, 2005 4:27 PM -0500 James Rovira