[Milton-L]

Peter McDermott mcdermot at clunet.edu
Wed Feb 16 02:36:09 EST 2005

I can sympathize with Mr. Hannon and his departure from the list. I walked away a year ago. I'm back and sifting bits of value out of the pretension and obscurity that sometimes creeps into the list. I left because of the lack of editorial rigor in fashioning a forum for coherent, disciplined conversation and the incessant contributions of some of the experts. I know that there are important and wise members of the list, and it is a privilege to witness their exchanges. Perhaps the occasional exercise of silence or hesitation in answering every item that surfaces might engage a wider, somewhat less intimidated number of contributors. Or maybe Mr. Hannon just had something else to do. Milton was my "outside field" in graduate school, but I have grown to love the guy -- satan and all.
Peter L. McDermott, M.D., Ph.D.