[Milton-L] Satan

James Rovira jrovira at drew.edu
Tue Feb 15 16:27:35 EST 2005

I suspect that just as Milton could assume the majority of his audience
would be repulsed by Satan from the start, so can Ms. Ostriker assume
that her audience will at least understand attaction to Satan from the
start.  We do spend a great deal of time with Satan at the beginning of
Paradise Lost before meeting any other characters -- without a prior
commitment to rejecting the Satanic as evil this, by itself, could be
enough.  But I think the distinction between assumption and
demonstration is a good one.

Jim Rovira