[Milton-L] Satan

MarcPaul digitalplacebo at shaw.ca
Tue Feb 15 12:40:06 EST 2005

Carol,
I much agree.  I haven't read many pieces of literature in which I didn't
find
at least one of the characters unattractive.  In Dickens for example,  Uriah
Heep
repulsed me in many ways,  though I never found my liking/disliking of his
character to detract from my overall appreciation of the work. Milton,  I
think,
makes it easy for his readers to push and pull with his characters;  but
hopefully,
that is much of the beauty of PL. I also find your appeal to the
complimentarity
of opposites in Milton's God and Satan to be a great way to view the dymanic
between characters and perhaps also,  an excellent commentary on the
Hermetic
motto:  "as above,  so below."

MarcPaul
"Sum Ergo Cogito."