[Milton-L] Satan

rpyoder rpyoder at ualr.edu
Tue Feb 15 13:17:05 EST 2005

This may seem obvious, but I'm not sure anyone has mentioned it  yet -- have
you looked
at Fish's *Surprised by Sin* and the various documents involved in the "Milton
Controversy" of the mid-20th century?  Fish's book is clearly a response to /
culmination
of the  various issues involved in the controversy.  One of those issues is
whether or not
Milton really understood what he was getting into when he undertook to expand
the brief
passage from Genesis into an epic, and one of the supposed "proofs" for
Milton's
shortcomings is the mixed responses to Satan.  The charge, in response to
which Fish
argues, is that Milton's narrator does really understand how great Satan is;
thus Satan
makes great speeches which the narrator misunderstands in his moralizing
comments
on those speeches -- or so the anti-Miltonists argued.  You don't have to
agree with Fish's
overall thesis in order to find useful his summary / documentation of the
attractiveness of
Satan (and so, then, how  we can be surprised by sin).

Paul Yoder