[Milton-L] just struggling

Derek Wood dwood at stfx.ca
Mon Feb 14 16:35:38 EST 2005

Could I add a postscript to Hugh's note? Forgive me for quoting
something of my own I once published

But it's very relevant to the points Hugh has made although it's about
Dalila not Eve:

            It should by now be clear that Dalila is the more
intelligent partner in this marriage. Even in his most patriarchal,
doctrinally prescriptive moments, Milton had recognised that the man
might not always be the superior marital partner: "particular exceptions
may have place, if she exceed her husband in prudence and dexterity, and
he contentedly yield, for then a superior and more naturall law comes
in, that the wiser should govern the lesse wise, whether male or female"
(CP 2. 589). For political expedience, Samson took a wife. She is quite
open about her own opposed political agenda. They matched minds and he
lost; that is not in doubt. He is not too bright, as Dalila reminds
herself when she curses her own hopefulness, "I was a fool, too rash and
quite mistaken / In what I thought would have succeeded best" (907-08).
He knows it himself: "O impotence of mind, in body strong!" (52), "not
made to rule, / But to subserve where wisdom bears command" (56-57); he
has strength but "wisdom nothing more than mean" (207).Exiled from
Light, Ch. 6.

Derek N.C. Wood,

Senior Research Professor,

St. Francis Xavier University,