[Milton-L] re Theodicy & this list

Mary Kline merlin77_7 at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 11 16:36:37 EST 2005

Dear Most Learned List,

I agree with Ms. Duran (so much so that I included her post in my posting), for it is very beneficial for all scholars to realize and understand that they too were once students.Learning is a reciprocal action between scholars and students that should never be reduced to something one sided for no one ever truly stops learning. Those who stop learning breed, to paraphrase William Blake; "...reptiles of the mind."
 Also, some of the students who subscribe to this list do not have access to certain things that PHD's take for granted. As Ms. Duran pointed out, all of us who are ones for Early Modern Literary Studies know that to be true in certain areas of Eastern Europe- I even know that to be true in certain areas of the American South. For example, I subscribe to this list and read through every post. I study over posts that pertain to works of John Milton and sometimes even re-read works of John Milton that some of the PHD's on this list have made reference to. During my semester break from University, I actually read the complete works of John Milton three times in a row and loved it. I do this because I go to a University that has not taught a class on Milton nor the English Literature of the Civil Wars for as long as I have been a student. Sometimes, when you are stuck with lemons, you must make lemonade.
 Please do not put down all of my fellow students who use this list, for I doubt that my fellow students are using this list towards any sort of elicit end.

peace,

Mary Kline

--- Angelica Duran wrote: > > Dear scholars, > > I welcome the message below. I am bothered when it > seems obvious that > persons have done little legwork or have not > proofread before emailing. I > speak as someone who has done the latter and has > been ashamed of having done > so. Such sloth and carelessness should be remedied. > Questions about paper > topics seem beneficial. We get to help construct > the next generation of > scholarship in Milton studies that way. Also, those > of us who have > resources unavailable to others can share those > resources or our knowledge > of those resources: I am thinking of emails on this > list from Eastern Europe > that have requested help due to limited access to > scholarly resources and of > Caren Irr¹s article ³Going to the Library in the > Czech Republic² in the > MLA¹s Professions 2004. On the other hand, I will > admit to gaining much > more pleasure in the lines of exchanges that delve > into deep interpretive > issues: som!
e of your
 comments are so learned that > they have moved me to > (ever-)continue improving my scholarship. > > Adios, > > Angelica Duran > Assistant Professor > Department of English > Purdue University > 500 Oval Drive > West Lafayette, IN 47907 > U.S.A. > (765) 496-3957 > * > *Please note new email > address as of February 2005. > > > > > From: Richard Strier > Reply-To: John Milton Discussion List > > Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2005 11:20:35 -0600 > To: > Subject: [Milton-L] re Theodicy & this list > > "Nature red"-- Tennyson, of course ("In Memoriam"). > > On M's problems with theodicy, my essay called > "Milton's Fetters" in Lieb > and Labriola's edited volume in Milton Studies 38 > ('00) is on point. > > Question: is this list supposed to be scholarly or > remedial? (I thought > the former, and am not intrigued by or interested in > or happy with the > latter.) What do others think? > > RS > -- > Richard Strier > Professor of English > Frank L. Sulzberger Professor in the College > The
 University of Chicago > 1050 E. 59th St. > Chicago, IL 60637 > 773-702-8006/ 8536 > Fax: 773-702-2495 > > > _______________________________________________ > Milton-L mailing list > Milton-L at lists.richmond.edu > http://lists.richmond.edu/mailman/listinfo/milton-l > > > _______________________________________________ > Milton-L mailing list > Milton-L at lists.richmond.edu > http://lists.richmond.edu/mailman/listinfo/milton-l >

Haz el bien, y no mires a quién.

Death is a commingling of eternity with time; in the death of a good man, eternity is seen looking through time.

~ Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe ~