[Milton-L] Tennyson Prior to Darwin, was The Failure ....

Gardner Campbell gcampbel at umw.edu
Thu Feb 10 20:55:16 EST 2005

Lyell's Geology, I believe, was the book Tennyson was responding to.

Gardner Campbell
University of Mary Washington

Dr. Gardner Campbell
Assistant Vice President for Teaching & Learning Technologies
Associate Professor of English
University of Mary Washington
1301 College Avenue
Fredericksburg, Virginia 22401
(540) 654-1542
FAX: (540) 654-1569
>>> cbcox at ilstu.edu 02/10/05 6:12 PM >>>
I thought I had sent the following a yesterday, but apparently it got
lost in cyberspace. c

Margaret Thickstun wrote:

> "Nature red in tooth and claw"--Tennyson, in "In Memoriam" #56 in a
> response to Darwin
> --

Not in response to Darwin, since the poem was published 9 years before
the publication of the Origin of Species.

Knowledge of the appearance and disappearance of species was widespread
and did not depend on Darwin publishing his work on evolution.
Acceptance of the fact of evolution had also been widespread -- Darwin
supplied a theory of how it worked.

Carrol