[Milton-L] Re: The Failure of Milton's Theodicy

James Rovira jrovira at drew.edu
Thu Feb 10 19:10:48 EST 2005

Sounds like a really interesting project, Mike. You probably don't have
to worry about this unless you begin with an extended discussion of
Blake, but it may be helpful to keep in mind that Blake's understanding
of the "Devil's party" is radically different from what you'd normally
identify as such from reading Paradise Lost. For Blake, it's best to do
a straightforward comparsion of the diabolic and the angelic in
_Marriage of Heaven and Hell_, after jettisoning any expectations that
it'll bear much resemblance to Christian conceptions of angels and
demons. I suspect, in Blake's case, "being of the Devil's party" has
more to do with creativity, passion, and sensuality (excess) as opposed
to discipline, reason, and, overall, Enlightenment principles. Blake
would see himself as being of the Devil's party because he was opposed
to State Religion, not because he was opposed to God. Both angels and
demons are "good" in the sense that they both represent equally valid
human potentialities that are supposed to remain in a dialectic, so what
you see in MHH are representations of the extremes. And, I suspect,
maybe Blake was in a very special tiff over something at the time, so
was leaning more toward the Satanic at the time, but I haven't really
pursued this thought. Shelley's preface to _Prometheus Unbound_ actually
helps quite a bit with understanding Blake's -- and the Romantics' --
Satan as well.

Anyway, good luck.

Jim

And to answer Jims question,