[Milton-L] Tennyson Prior to Darwin, was The Failure ....

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Thu Feb 10 17:12:54 EST 2005

I thought I had sent the following a yesterday, but apparently it got
lost in cyberspace. c

Margaret Thickstun wrote:

> "Nature red in tooth and claw"--Tennyson, in "In Memoriam" #56 in a
> response to Darwin
> --

Not in response to Darwin, since the poem was published 9 years before
the publication of the Origin of Species.

Knowledge of the appearance and disappearance of species was widespread
and did not depend on Darwin publishing his work on evolution.
Acceptance of the fact of evolution had also been widespread -- Darwin
supplied a theory of how it worked.

Carrol