[Milton-L] just struggling

James Rovira jrovira at drew.edu
Mon Feb 7 23:24:58 EST 2005

I think there is something to be said about the problem of applying
ethical categories to authors that lived long before us.  I was
discussing with a fellow teacher my use of Augustine (selections from
chapter 7 of the Confessions) in a class entitled "Writing About Evil"
(a themed Freshman Composition class) and the only thing she could say
in response was, "he was really a misogynist."  It wasn't thoughtful or
had nothing else to say about him otherwise.  I tried to explain that
the passage she probably had in mind was more concerned with
deromanticizing erotic fantasies in young men than actually attacking
women (but still, there is that tone...), and that he revered his
mother, but it didn't matter.  That's all she had to say or was
interested in saying, or knowing, about Augustine.

But I think Milton's Eve, as the mother of all the living, really is
supposed to be a prototypical woman in ways few other fictional
characters are intended to be, and when Raphael is coming (specifically
sent to Adam, not Eve, by God), Adam (if I'm reading this right) sends
Eve off to fetch the vittles, even in a perfect world.

Haste hither EVE, and worth thy sight behold
Eastward among those Trees, what glorious shape
Comes this way moving; seems another Morn
Ris'n on mid-noon; som great behest from Heav'n
To us perhaps he brings, and will voutsafe
This day to be our Guest. But goe with speed,
And what thy stores contain, bring forth and poure
Abundance, fit to honour and receive
Our Heav'nly stranger; well we may afford
Our givers thir own gifts, and large bestow
 From large bestowd, where Nature multiplies
Her fertil growth, and by disburd'ning grows
More fruitful, which instructs us not to spare.

Would Milton have considered this in any way inappropriate?  Of course
not, not any more than some modern readers can help the way it comes
across to them.

The following is an interesting comparison of feminist and
fundamentalist discourse:

http://artisanitorium.thehydden.com/nonfiction/litcrit/bewitchd.htm

Needs some copy editing but the ideas are pretty interesting.

Jim Rovira