[Milton-L] just struggling

Walker at geneseo.edu Walker at geneseo.edu
Sat Feb 5 17:58:50 EST 2005

"Undoubtedly neither God nor Satan are nearly as misogynist as Paul."

Oh, yawn.

I have just joined this list, hoping for something like the level of
discussion we get on the Spenser list.    Is this exchange typical?
should I claw back that  space in my IN Box?

Milton's God, Milton's Satan, Milton's Eve, and Paul -- whoever and how
many people constitute Paul --  are cultural constructs, no?  (And if your
blood pressure is rising about Paul, read some more about the Council of
Nicea.)  You are discussing them as if they were running for office in the
here and now.

Whether or not Milton's Eve is intrinsically more frail than Milton's Adam
is an open question only if you haven't read Book IV.  The lake scene,
always called the pool scene because we all hear the Ovidian Narcissus
echo so deafeningly, is about as unambiguous as it gets.

Eve is weaker.  Does this make Milton a misogynist?  Have we flashed back
to the 1970s and Gilbert and Gubar?  Or even back to Woolf?  How about
someone re-reading Patricia Parker's "Coming Second"?

What Eve becomes (as Milton's character) may be open to debate, but let's
not start imaging her having coffee at Starbucks -- or working as a
barista serving Paul his half-caff skinny latte.  But by the same token,
could someone please explain to me what makes racism or sexism disarming
if it's found in the (not The) garden?

One of my friends recently sent me a neologism at which I laughed:
"presentism."  I laughed because I thought lit people were beyond that
sort of anachronistic fiddling.  Seems I'm wrong.

off to Starbucks,

Julia Walker