[Milton-L] Struggling with a paper

Hugh Wilson hwilson at together.net
Sat Feb 5 14:59:35 EST 2005

The issue of whether or not Milton portrays
Eve as really intrinsically more frail than Adam
is an open question.  Some scholars, like John
Ulreich, have credibly argued that Eve is heroic.
In some significant respects, she seems morally
superior to Adam.

When Milton was three, in Salve Deus Rex
Judaeorum [1611], Emilia Lanier had already
argued that Adam was more culpable
for the fall than Eve.

Hugh Wilson
hwilson at together.net
(518) 562-8027

P.S.  Also, as an aside, insofar as
"misogyny" means the hate of women,
Paul isn't "misogynist" at all.  The word
is devalued by being over-used.  Jason
in Euripides' Medea is expresses genuine
misogynist sentiments when he wishes
that women never existed, and that men
could produce children some other way.

Garden variety sexism or unconscious
prejudice isn't misogyny anymore than
the garden varieties of unconscious racism
are tantamount to membership in the
Aryan Nation.

Given the questions about Paul's authorship
of the most controversial epistles, and the
is debate about what they really meant, it
seems that we should be more circumspect.