[Milton-L] Struggling with a paper

BlevinsJake at aol.com BlevinsJake at aol.com
Thu Feb 3 20:44:59 EST 2005

Jesse,

To be honest, the "point taken" was Jim's statement that all he could really
do was refer to the tradition Milton may have been following. With all due
respect to Jim (whose comments I always enjoy and consider seriously), when
somone responds to a discussion with "Well, you would have to ask God to know for
sure" I would soon politely back out; if God's direct intervention into the
topic is the level of proof needed, my position will probably be a tough sale.
However, based on my previous comments, I of course think that this particular
issue is more complex within Milton's text and that Milton, as he so often
does, follows tradition but allows for a more complex and comprehensive analysis
of that tradition, but I thought I would save any additional comments for
someone willing to engage in the "speculative." And ulimately the question I posed
to Jim was not meant to be biblical/historical in nature, but rather how
Milton creates characters that show the possible ambiguities of that tradition.

Jacob

Jacob Blevins
Assistant Professor of English
Editor, The McNeese Review