[Milton-L] Struggling with a paper

BlevinsJake at aol.com BlevinsJake at aol.com
Thu Feb 3 13:21:11 EST 2005

Jim,

Paul of course wrote from the perspective that Satan's deception of Even
already occurred, so yes it was woman who was deceived. The question, I guess,
would be did it have to be that way? PL depicts an Adam who, I believe, could
have been swayed--albeit, as I said before, perhaps by a different mode of
attack. The very fact that Adam is not "tricked" by Eve but falls with full
knowledge, so to speak, makes it difficult for me to imagine that he couldn't have
been tricked into doing the same thing. You're right that an important aspect
becomes why did Satan choose to go after Eve first--it could just be Milton's
following the "historical" account of the story or the general idea that woman is
somehow a lesser version of man, or Satan was privy to Eve's attitudes toward
herself at the pool. Regardless, none of that necessitates the idea that Eve
was without a doubt more vulnerable to the attack--only that Eve was indeed
vulnerable. Remember, Satan HOPES to find Eve alone, but isn't he prepared to
tempt the both of them if need be?

Jacob

In a message dated 2/3/2005 11:04:31 AM Central Standard Time,