[Milton-L] Struggling with a paper

Santoyo, Sarah Santoyo_Sarah at rsccd.org
Thu Feb 3 09:22:37 EST 2005

It could  be that Satan finds his relationship with God analogous to Eve's relationship with Adam, and seeks to instill in her the same sense of arbitrary authority and insufficient appreciation of individuality in the current system.  Consider that, in Book IX, Adam's resistance to working separately moves Eve to accuse him of trying to control her because he doesn't think she is sufficiently strong or intelligent, before she encounters Satan in the garden.  Eve's angst in many ways parallels  Satan's.  Satan too was suspicious of the institution of Christ's authority over the angels, because submission to authority implies that the submissive are not capable of ruling themselves.  This suspicion generated rebellion and upset God's creation.  In Eve, he may sense that the same strategy can work.