[Milton-L] Struggling with a paper

zunijm at jmu.edu zunijm at jmu.edu
Thu Feb 3 11:00:43 EST 2005

  Stanley Fish's book _How Milton Works_ proved quite useful
when I recently wrote a paper on the parallels between Satan
and Comus. Fish posits that " . . . there is always a
contrast between the busy energy of Milton's tempters . . .
as they move here and there pointing out many things, and the
stillness of the Miltonic hero, for whom movement--departure
from an already achieved state of knowledge and illumination--
is a temptation."
  In this light (contrasting the unfallen Eve with the
tempter, Satan), your ideas are explorable, and can be taken
toward the same end. I hope this response helps with your
topic.
                                          Jeremy Zuni

>One idea is about Satan as an interpreter and creater of
images.>The other has more to do with Eve. The only thing
Satan is right about is that she'll be more vulnerable to him
than Adam.  She has an affinity for knowledge that Satan
exploits and a faith in her own reasoning that allows her to
convince Adam to let her work alone. In many ways, I see Eve
as more like the reader than Adam is - she's more human,
literally.

>So is there any connection here, between Satan as a creator
and exploiter and victim of images and Eve's interest in
learning and reason? Or am I really looking at two separate
things.