[Milton-L] re: PL and genre/P.S. Carol

BlevinsJake at aol.com BlevinsJake at aol.com
Tue Sep 7 08:41:06 EDT 2004

Carol,

By the way--I do agree with your previous arguments about PR, and I  think
they support my general proposition.  The so-called static nature of  the hero
in PR is indeed necessary and appropriate to the obedience/temptation  etc.,
but it is very different from the classical epic hero in PL--i.e.  Satan--who is
much more problematic, multifaceted, and frankly just not that  "heroic" in
the modern sense.  That doesn't make PR less accomplished, but  I don't think
it takes the reader for quite the ride that Satan does;  I  think that's why it
suggests inferiority to many.

Jacob