[Milton-L] re: PL and genre

John Wright jnwright at wesleyan.edu
Mon Sep 6 11:21:58 EDT 2004

Re: PL and genre classification and the language of sin -- this does
indeed seem to be a valid way of approaching the epic. I will need to
take a closer look at Satan's soliloquy. A major thread running through
my thesis could be stated as follows: the innovative genius of PL owes a
great deal to Milton's ability to transgress established genre
conventions while still retaining the structural components of the epic.
I am particularly interested in the idea that much of PL can be read as
a hymn, and about what that says of Milton's intent.

John Wright