[Milton-L] Update on Gary Stringer

Jesse Swan swanjesseg at netscape.net
Sun Sep 5 22:47:19 EDT 2004

I quite agree with Professor Gilliatt and would add that the English
Department of Texas A&M is a splendid place, owing to its accomplished
faculty and many of its fine Ph.D.'s.  We had the good fortune of
getting, a few years ago,  one of the graduates, who has just received
an early promotion.

I wonder if we could find out such a fine alternative for Professor
Lares.  Let's do keep our eyes peeled and ears alert.

Still, it is all a terrible assault on the academy and a crying shame,
most especially, for the fine scholars, students, and alumni at and of
So. Miss.

Jesse

gilliaca at jmu.edu wrote:

>>I have been remiss in not having written much sooner to say
>>

>that Gary Stringer
>

>>has accepted a position at Texas A&M, and has of course
>>

>taken the Donne Variorum
>

>>Project with him.  You may remember that Gary, a
>>

>distinguished professor in our
>

>>English department, was threatened with being fired when he
>>

>inquired into the
>

>>academic qualifications of the vice president for research,
>>

>Dr. Angeline Dvorak,
>

>>who is no longer in that position.
>>

>Cut off nose to spite face seems to be the order of the day.
>And of course that 'face' that suffers includes Dr.
>Stringer's colleagues and students particularly.  A very sad
>things. I am glad that Dr. S. has found a home, and hope he
>will be nurtured and respected there.
>Cynthia A. Gilliatt
>English Department, JMU
>JMU Safe Zones participant
>"You have made God in your own image when God hates the same people you hate." Fr. John Weston

Jesse G. Swan, Ph.D.
Associate Professor of English
University of Northern Iowa
Cedar Falls, IA 50614-0502