[Milton-L] Update on Gary Stringer

gilliaca at jmu.edu gilliaca at jmu.edu
Sun Sep 5 21:01:08 EDT 2004

>I have been remiss in not having written much sooner to say
that Gary Stringer
>has accepted a position at Texas A&M, and has of course
taken the Donne Variorum
>Project with him.  You may remember that Gary, a
distinguished professor in our
>English department, was threatened with being fired when he
inquired into the
>academic qualifications of the vice president for research,
Dr. Angeline Dvorak,
>who is no longer in that position.

Cut off nose to spite face seems to be the order of the day.
And of course that 'face' that suffers includes Dr.
Stringer's colleagues and students particularly.  A very sad
things. I am glad that Dr. S. has found a home, and hope he
will be nurtured and respected there.
Cynthia A. Gilliatt
English Department, JMU
JMU Safe Zones participant