[Milton-L] Update on Gary Stringer

Jameela Lares Jameela.Lares at usm.edu
Sun Sep 5 13:33:58 EDT 2004

I have been remiss in not having written much sooner to say that Gary Stringer
has accepted a position at Texas A&M, and has of course taken the Donne Variorum
Project with him.  You may remember that Gary, a distinguished professor in our
English department, was threatened with being fired when he inquired into the
academic qualifications of the vice president for research, Dr. Angeline Dvorak,
who is no longer in that position.

Things are still poor at USM.  Our department has lost six members in the last
year, plus (I think) seven before that, and have hired one.  We may be able to
hire an additional 4-5 this year, but I think an impartial observer who noted
the different treatment of other departments would have to conclude that we had
been targeted.

Thanks to so many of you for your ongoing questions and expressions of support.

Sincerely,

Jameela
--
Jameela Lares
Associate Professor of English
The University of So. Mississippi
118 College Drive #5037
Hattiesburg, MS  39406-0001
+601 266-6214 ofc
+601 266-5757 fax
SECURITY NOTICE:  On April 28, 2004, the University of Southern Mississippi
administration publicly revealed the contents of e-mail to several professors
whose email the administration had been monitoring.  These included e-mails
originating in private off-campus accounts but addressed to accounts on
University server.  Your e-mail to me may be read by and/or revealed to
outside parties. Campus phones are believed to be insecure as well.  If you
want confidentiality, please use my off-campus e-mail address, which is
<jamlares at yahoo.com>.