[Milton-L] Lawes again

diane mccolley dmccolley at earthlink.net
Fri Sep 3 17:13:51 EDT 2004

Thank you very much.  I've emailed the Consort of Musicke.  Here are some
bits of an email I sent a while back:

The excellent "Sitting by the Streams: Psalms, Ayres, and Dialogues," by The
Consort of Musicke directed by Anthony Rooley (Hyperion CDA 66135, 1984)
includes Lawe's settings of poems and psalm paraphrases by Thomas Carew,
Isaak Walton, Henry Hughes, and Sir John Birkenhead, but none by Milton.
The psalm translations, which may be seen as royalist laments, are from a
Huntington Library booklet, Psalmes of a New Translation . . . by Henry
Lawes, Servant to His Late Majesty," which also contains verse paraphrases
by George Sandys and belonged to the Bridgewater family.  There's an article
on it in a recent Huntington Library Quarterly.

There's a recorded performance of A Mask directed by Raymond Leppard, a bad
performance in my opinion.

And not too long ago Milton Quarterly had a note on recorded performances
including, if I remember rightly, a video tape in which Donald Friedman's
wife Stephanie performed.