[Milton-L] moloch

John Ulreich jcu at email.arizona.edu
Fri Sep 3 13:11:55 EDT 2004

Dear Angela,

Since you've obviously done your homework, I assume you have looked at a
good Bible dictionary (I like the Harpers). Beyond that, my hunch is that
PL 1.392-93 sums up Moloch's meaning in the epic: "horrid king, besmeared
with blood / Of human sacrifice, and parents' tears." Moloch (usually
Molech in KJB) embodies and fuses 3 crucial themes in PL: idolatry,
tyranny, & the sacrificial slaying of sons.

But then, why Gabriel rather than Michael? My hunch is: because, though
associated by most Christians with the Annunciation to Mary, Gabriel (in
Daniel) Proclaimed & Interpreted the Final Battle between Good & Evil. So I
would guess that his encounter with Moloch in PL is meant to foreshadow the
Last Judgment--as, indeed, the whole War in Heaven does (among other things).

Good luck,
John