[Milton-L] moloch

John Rumrich rumrich at mail.utexas.edu
Fri Sep 3 14:40:23 EDT 2004

Diane's instincts seem to me characteristically reliable.  Moloch is a
key figure for understanding Milton's deep and perplexed (not too
strong a word I hope) reaction to the sacrifice of the Son.

Oh, I'd also point out that Gabriel can be accurately translated as
"God is my strength."  Moloch by contrast tries to be strong in
isolation from God.  The rather cartoonish outcome of this particular
expression of strength without wisdom is reminiscent of the fate of the
rebel (I forget which) whom the loyal Macbeth of Act I reportedly
bisects.

John