[Milton-L] moloch

Duran, Angelica ADuran at sla.purdue.edu
Fri Sep 3 12:55:08 EDT 2004

Dear scholars,

I have a question regarding Moloch, who of course appears in PL 1.381ff and other places in Hell.  My question concerns his appearance in PL 6.354ff.  Why is it appropriate that Gabriel fight Moloch?  Milton could have chosen a different rebel angel for Gabriel's combat.  I have looked up the iconographies, footnotes, biblical references, etc.; and I am still left puzzled. References to secondary texts or your gut instinct much appreciated.

May you all have a wonderful labor day weekend... even those of you not in the U.S.

Adios,

Angelica Duran
Assistant Professor
English Department