[Milton-L] Edenic geography

John Geraghty johnegeraghty at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 22 12:19:03 EST 2004

I don't know the best source but of the origin of the word Eden is said:
The word Eden in Hebrew means delight, luxury, pleasure, as well as
paradise. A similar word in Sumerian E.DIN and in Akkadian Edinu means plain
such as the flat area between two rivers.

http://www.newsflash.org/2004/02/tl/tl012404.htm

So I think the garden was above the plain.

It is also said that the garden and two of the four rivers were blotted out
in Noah's flood.

 Also, I'm sure someone has discussed this, although I have not seen it, but
you might want to review psalm 107,  "solitary way"  as it seems to me to be
an allusion by Milton.

107: http://www.bju.edu/bible/ps.107.html

4 They wandered in the wilderness in a    solitary way;         they found
no city to dwell in.
33 He turneth rivers into a wilderness, and the watersprings into dry
ground;

34 A fruitful land into barrenness, for the wickedness of them that dwell
therein.

35 He turneth the wilderness into a standing water, and dry ground into
watersprings.

etc...

-John