[Milton-L] death in Eden.

Jameela Lares Jameela.Lares at usm.edu
Mon Nov 22 05:25:28 EST 2004

Interesting point, Michael.  To what extent is the "provide" a foreseeing
(provideo) without associated responsibility?

Jameela

Quoting Michael Bryson <michael.bryson at csun.edu>:

> Douglas,
>
> Another thing to note, perhaps, is that at PL 11.61, the
> Father claims that he "provided death"--death may exist in
> the "warped mind of Satan" (an old warhorse of an image in
> Milton studies to be sure), but the Father seems to have no
> difficulty regarding it and/or advertising it as his own
> rather strange gift, as line 60 seems to suggest that it was
> provided to relieve humankind of "eternize[d] woe."
>
> Michael Bryson
>

> >Date: Sun, 21 Nov 2004 18:43:53 -0800
> >From: "Peter C. Herman" <herman2 at mail.sdsu.edu>
> >Subject: Re: [Milton-L] death in Eden.
> >To: John Milton Discussion List <milton-
> l at lists.richmond.edu>
> >
> >At 04:29 PM 11/21/2004, you wrote:
> >>Dear Douglas,
> >>There is no death in Eden yet.  In Satan, yes because he
> has fallen.
> >>Therefore, he sees death where no death exists yet.  Death
> exists in the
> >>warped mind of Satan [....]
> >
> >Is this exactly right? Satan does bump into Death (and Sin)
> on his way out
> >of hell. Arguably, death arose from Satan's mind: Sin
> literally pops out of
> >Satan's head, then they have sex, then Death is born, so in
> a very weird
> >way, Death is the idea of an idea. But Death certainly
> exists outside of
> >Satan's mind before he gets to Earth.
> >
> >Peter C. Herman

Jameela Lares
Associate Professor of English
The University of So. Mississippi
118 College Drive #5037
Hattiesburg, MS  39406-0001
+601 266-6214 ofc
+601 266-5757 fax
SECURITY NOTICE:  On April 28, 2004, the University of Southern Mississippi
administration publicly revealed the contents of e-mail to several professors
whose email the administration had been monitoring.  These included e-mails
originating in private off-campus accounts but addressed to accounts on
University server.  Your e-mail to me may be read by and/or revealed to
outside parties. Campus phones are believed to be insecure as well.  If you
want confidentiality, please use my off-campus e-mail address, which is
<jamlares at yahoo.com>.