[Milton-L] death in Eden.

James Rovira jrovira at drew.edu
Sun Nov 21 22:42:28 EST 2004

Interesting response.  DIsn't it possible to say they have as much to do
with the actual world as do the worlds created within any other fiction,
and believe they have a great deal to do with the actual world indeed?

The categories of "pre" and "post-lapsarian" pre-existed Milton and were
viable constructs for interpreting the "actual" world for a long, long
time. They still are, in fact, for many people.  It's probably best not
to emphasize "of Paradise Lost" in the phrase, "the pre/post-lapsarian
worlds of Paradise Lost" either -- since these concepts were in long
circulation prior to the writing of Paradise Lost, they would serve the
purpose of "anchors" to the "actual world" that exist in every piece of
successful fiction every written, at least for Milton and his audience.
  The book of Genesis is best read, in fact, as an attempt to account
for the existence of the actual world, and the existence (and meaning)
of the nation of Israel within it.

A little Buchler would go a long way here.

Jim