[Milton-L] death in Eden.

James Rovira jrovira at drew.edu
Sun Nov 21 22:53:22 EST 2004

Just to add to Carol's post.

I think the relevant passage in Paradise Lost is in book II, lines
746ff.  Line 755/6 describes Sin springing forth from Satan's head.
Satan saw his own reflection in Sin and desired her.  His intercourse
with her led to the conception of Death (line 785-6).  Death then
repeatedly rapes Sin (his own mother) who on an hourly basis is raped
and gives birth to little monsters.

The Biblical source for these relationships is James 1:15

"...after desire has conceived, it gives birth to sin, and sin, when it
is full-grown, gives birth to death" (NIV).

Since Satan sinned before Eve did, and since sin leads to death, both
Sin and Death had to pre-exist Eve.

Probably a good thing to distinguish between human mortality and the
principle of death here.

The passage in James is especially pertinent, as it defends God against
the accusation of providing temptation to sin (1:13).  We are the source
of our own temptation, sin, and death, not God.

Jim