[Milton-L] death in Eden and tree bark.

John Geraghty johnegeraghty at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 17 00:22:25 EST 2004

This thread and comment on Noah reminds me of two texts,

1. The Book of the Bee
http://www.sacred-texts.com/chr/bb/

"Some say that they clothed themselves with the skins of animals, which they
stripped off; but this is not credible, for all the beasts were created in
couples, and Adam and Eve had as yet no knives to kill and flay them; hence
it is clear that he means the bark of trees1. Only the blessed Moses called
the bark of trees 'skins,' because it fills the place of skins to trees. In
the land of India there are trees whose bark is used for the clothing of
kings and nobles and the wealthy, on account of its beauty. After God had
expelled Adam and his wife from Paradise, He withheld from them the fruits
of trees, and the use of bread and flesh and wine, and the anointing with
oil; but they cooked grain and vegetables and the herbs of the earth, and
did eat sparingly. Moreover, the four-footed beasts and fowl and reptiles
rebelled against them, and some of them became enemies and adversaries unto
them. They remained thus until Noah went forth from the ark, and then God
allowed them to eat bread and to drink wine and to eat flesh, after they had
slain the animal and poured out its blood."

2. The Cave of Treasures
http://www.iath.virginia.edu/anderson/retellings/Cave.html#div1.2.13
"And God made for them tunics of skin which was stripped from the trees,
that is to say, of the bark of the trees, because the trees that were in
Paradise had soft barks, and they were softer than the byssus and silk
wherefrom the garments worn by kings are made. And God dressed them in this
soft skin, which was thus spread over a body of infirmities."

The 1688 Illustration is not animal skins but fig leaves on the vine
http://www.johngeraghty.com/Literature/Texts/Milton/P_Lost_1688/tb/PL_1688_TB_Bk_XII.jpg
contrasting w/ the well-dressed Angels.

Also notice how Satan's attire and appearance chronologically deteriorates
in the illustrations.

http://www.johngeraghty.com/Literature/Texts/Milton/P_Lost_1688/PL_1688_Lib_1_img.jpg
http://www.johngeraghty.com/Literature/Texts/Milton/P_Lost_1688/PL_1688_BOOKE_II_img.jpg
http://www.johngeraghty.com/Literature/Texts/Milton/P_Lost_1688/PL_1688_BOOK_III_img.jpg