[Milton-L] death in Eden.

James Rovira jrovira at drew.edu
Tue Nov 16 16:54:49 EST 2004

That sounds reasonable.  While a sheep could be shorn (but then, you're
right, we wouldn't be talking about skins), even in that case it's a bit
loaded with sacrificial imagery.

Abel sacrificed from his flocks, remember, while Cain sacrificed from
his crops.

You're right, let's leave Egypt out of this :)

Beth's question does raise some problems.  If we have talking snakes and
lions that don't eat meat, why not mammals that shed their skin?
Another question: animals weren't given to humans for food (or feared
humans) until after the flood waters receded - -Noah's time.  The most
natural inference to make from this is that pretty well every animal was
vegetarian until then.

Jim