[Milton-L] death in Eden.

Beth Quitslund quitslun at ohio.edu
Tue Nov 16 11:45:19 EST 2004

By chance, this is something that I have just been dealing with in response
to a question posed by my undergraduates in a Milton seminar: why do the
*animals* end up red in tooth and claw if the *humans* sinned? (And that's
leaving aside the paradox of the blameless-but-punished serpent.) If anyone
has an explicit patristic answer to this, by the way, I would love to know.
But in my dilatory hunt on the web for clues, I discovered that
pre-lapsarian death is a raging controversy among literalist Christian
interpreters. It mostly hinges, apparently, on the indisputable fact that
there are a lot of animals which not only have teeth and claws useful only
for aggressive purposes, but also digestive systems, etc., that require
meat. The question, then, is whether God made them that way originally and
let them starve until the fall, or whether they changed to fit the new
ecology of sin. My favorite explanation of how such evolution would happen
is that the atmosphere changed after the fall, so that more cosmic rays
reached the earth and caused wide-spread genetic mutations.

Lest we think that Milton is irrelevant to contemporary concerns....

Beth