[Milton-L] Remember, remember the fifth of November!

Conrad Bladey Peasant cbladey at bcpl.net
Wed Nov 10 09:26:55 EST 2004

Some good observations....
The king's wife was a practicing Catholic- I tend to support the view
that if there was official knowledge of the plot that, if the government
did look the other way it was not for the purpose of capturing the
Jesuits but for the purpose of testing the national loyalties of the
Jesuits and their followers. Prior to the plot of 1605 Garnet had indeed
assisted the state in its efforts to discover and avoid an attack. Would
he also put safety and his obligations as a citizen over the demands of
religion? The blast would have leveled the parliament building as well
as several blocks surrounding it in London. Innocents would have been
killed. Garnet failed the test and Catholics would not be free in
England until the mid 20th century.

Of course it is important to view the act as a part of the Counter
Reformation as much as anything else. Unfortunately the war with Spain
had been concluded just prior. The plotters had negotiated with spaninsh
officials so that war comes into it as well.

The fate of the planned rebellion in the Midlands scheduled by the
plotters to follow the blast is most telling. Citizens did not join the
cause of the fleeing conspirators and the rest of the century was spent
clarifying the position of the people in regard to domination of foreign
power and religion until on Nov. 5 1689 William III and Mary arrived at
Torbay and James fled to embrace absolutism in France.

I would not claim that democracy had arrived with William III but I
would say that it had made progress. The next step was made as the
societies which celebrated the 5th of November in the colonies (see
Pope's Day) transformed themselves into the anti tax act groups which
helped to initiate the american revolution.....

The gravity of the plot and the wonder of the deliverance led to many
beautiful works of prose including those of Milton. Through them we can
feel the reverberations of gunpowder which failed to be set off in other
ways.

Conrad

Dr Margaret Kelly wrote:

> Frankly, I have never been enamoured of treason, no matter its trappings.
> Moreover, this was an extremely sensitive time. Both legally and
> politically, for the future of the future Great Britain, (James I's
> hopeful designation, not realized in full till political realities crept
> up on the revolutionaries of 1688 and then some.....) let alone the
> United Kingdom...
> The legalities of this are extremely complex. The politics even more so.
> Romanticism and ex post facto views of this extraordinary confrontation
> concerning the rule of 2 kingdoms as one, and the appreciation of a
> fluidity in religious perception ( which, James I as a Calvinist, tho'
> christened as a Catholic, ruling over an Anglican England and a
> Presbyterian Scotland with exceptionaries at every turn, actually
> attempted to encourage [silly sot!]) , can never re-capture the real
> political devastation which may have followed on this adventure .  Nor,
> might I say, has the role of the Jesuits [clearly the real intellectual
> basis behind the opposition to James I of England, and not without any
> rational substantiation] received any sustained interrogation.

[1}…regular at the rails, smilers at flag-day corners, blameless not
extortionate, superior to party, not loving their own selves,
bird-watchers and inventors of humane bull-slaying, temperate,
fair-spoken,appreciative-all this and a great deal more-it arouses
complicated emotions to see such intimate friends unawares seated
confidently in a ventilaged room smiling at superstition on the fifth of
November May be they'll yet laugh on the other side oftheir faces at
gunpowdered reason.-David Michael Jones 1895-1974 From the Book of
Balaam's Ass(1974) from The Sleeping Lord and other Fragments (1995)