[Milton-L] death in Eden.

BlevinsJake at aol.com BlevinsJake at aol.com
Mon Nov 15 20:11:55 EST 2004

Douglass,

I don't think in Book IV (403-408) that Satan literally wants to kill two
deer. As an epic simile, Satan is a tiger who prepares to attack Adam and Eve in
the same way a tiger would typically seize "two Fawns at play." I could be
misreading this, but I don't think so (though if I were, it would not be the
first time).

Also, I'm not sure how the "dandl'd" kid suggests anything but playfulness. I
did a quick check on OED and all the pre-18th century definitions of "dandle"
suggest that. That the Lion "ramp'd" does suggest a threatning action;
however, the poet makes it clear that he "ramps" only in sport.

In a message dated 11/15/2004 4:41:52 PM Central Standard Time,