[Milton-L] death in Eden.

amy_stackhouse at mindspring.com amy_stackhouse at mindspring.com
Mon Nov 15 20:09:22 EST 2004

Dear Douglas,
Notice that the three subtle images are in the forms of similes.  Satan, who is already fallen, foreshadows the images of death.  We, who are postlapsarian, recognize the similes precisely because we are fallen and we know what Satan is up to.  (The similes would make no sense to a prelapsarian being.)  I don't have Paradise Lost in front of me, but I believe it is early in Book 11 where Adam notices the change in nature, right before Michael appears.  I believe the words "first hunter" are used, which would imply that the blatant image in Book 4 is not one of the lion having killed the kid.  In fact, I believe the lion "dandling" the kid is much like the way an adult might "dandle" a child on his or her knee.  It means to playfully bounce up and down.  I don't have access to the OED at home, so I'm not positive that this meaning of the word was current in Milton's time, but given the context of the quotation, I'm willing to bet it was.  The animals in that scene are playing for Adam and Eve's amusement and the lion displaying his kill might not be particularly amusing, especially since Adam claims that his first glimpse of death is in the image of Cain killing Abel that he has while with Michael in Book 11.

I'm not sure that this helps you with your thesis, but it might serve to complicate your thesis in interesting ways.  And I certainly welcome correction if my readings seem amiss.

Best of luck,
Amy

Amy Stackhouse, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor of English