[Milton-L] Re: Milton-L Digest, Vol 13, Issue 13

Dr. Carol Barton cbartonphd at earthlink.net
Sun Nov 14 12:12:09 EST 2004

That's much more helpful, Alexandra. If you are looking "beyond" the
obvious, perhaps it would be useful to examine Satan's address to the Sun,
or the irony involved in the "felix culpa": God says that Satan and his
followers have fallen, self-seduced ("The first sort by thir own suggestions
fell, / Self-tempted, self-deprav'd," 3.129-130), but that "Man falls
deceiv'd / By th'other first"-- how true is that, though, first of Eve, and
then of Adam, in Milton's rendition of the story?

Other than that, Professor Duran's suggestion, ". . .1.260-270, which
contains the section "Better to reign in Hell..." because . . . the French
translation omits that blasphemous line and modifies the surrounding
context" is also "beyond" -- that is, the Chateaubriand text ignores
something "beyond" what it represents as Milton's poem.  (You may also know
that Voltaire found Milton's treatment of Satan, Sin, and Death revolting --
another kind of "beyond.")

I hope this will give you some good inspiration for what you are trying to
accomplish. Bonne chance!

Carol Barton

<<< Yes sorry for not completely introduced me: I'm undergraduate student
studying English civilization and literature, i read Milton's paradise lost
in French and English, wonderful translation made by Chateaubriand. I really
enjoy it but my aim is to make an exposé to French students and i would like
some advice to select a really important and interesting extract for us to
enjoy as much as i was. The topic of our class is the "beyond".

Alexandra.

---