[Milton-L] Re: Milton-L Digest, Vol 13, Issue 13

LieutaudA at aol.com LieutaudA at aol.com
Sun Nov 14 11:50:39 EST 2004

Dans un e-mail daté du 14/11/04 17:27:16 Paris, Madrid,
milton-l-request at lists.richmond.edu a écrit :

> Message: 2
> Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2004 09:16:47 -0500
> From: "Dr. Carol Barton" <cbartonphd at earthlink.net>
> Subject: Re: [Milton-L] Best extract of Paradise Lost
> To: "John Milton Discussion List" <milton-l at lists.richmond.edu>
>
> Interesting in what respect, Alexandra? It would be helpful if you
> identified the reason for your inquiry and the level of your studies. (Are you an
> undergraduate or graduate student, a professor, or an independent scholar?) Your
> question is a very general one, and since it is a matter of personal
> preference, it is not easy to answer. (Some of us might be tempted to respond, "All
> of them!")
>
> Best to all,
>
> Carol Barton

<<< Yes sorry for not completely introduced me: I'm undergraduate student
studying English civilization and literature, i read Milton's paradise lost in
French and English, wonderful translation made by Chateaubriand. I really enjoy
it but my aim is to make an exposé to French students and i would like some
advice to select a really important and interesting extract for us to enjoy as
much as i was. The topic of our class is the "beyond".

Alexandra.

> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 4
> Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2004 09:36:27 -0500
> From: James Rovira <jrovira at drew.edu>
> Subject: Re: [Milton-L] Best extract of Paradise Lost
> To: John Milton Discussion List <milton-l at lists.richmond.edu>
>
> Carol's question is a good one, Alexandra.  If you can think of any
> specific parameters that'd be helpful.  The facet of PL that seems to
> get the most attention, however -- especially from non-Miltonists -- is
> Milton's depiction of Satan.  So perhaps the first three books?  But
> even this is pretty large, and I suspect you're probably looking for
> something like 20-50 lines.  What did you have in mind?
>

> Jim

<<< yes, i try to find  5 or 6 extract in different book that would develop
my topic.

> Message: 5
> Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2004 10:39:24 -0500
> From: "Duran, Angelica" <ADuran at sla.purdue.edu>
> Subject: RE: [Milton-L] Best extract of Paradise Lost
> To: "John Milton Discussion List" <milton-l at lists.richmond.edu>
>
> Dear Alexandra,
>
> I agree that we need a little more information to answer your question
> fully.  One that might help since you mention that you are French is 1.260-270,
> which contains the section "Better to reign in Hell..." because I know that the
> fist Spanish translation of Paradise Lost which advertises itself as based
> on the French translation omits that blasphemous line and modifies the
> surrounding context.
>
> If you are just interested in contemporary Miltonists' favorite lines, one
> of my favorites is "Servant of God, well done."
>
> Adios,

Thanks a;lot Angelica i will take this for a godd advice, this will help me !