[Milton-L] Best extract of Paradise Lost

Jesse Swan swanjesseg at netscape.net
Sun Nov 14 10:47:06 EST 2004

I agree with Carol Barton's, "All of them!" though here I'll recommend
the deliciously sarcastic praise of science and ironic condemnation of
individual ambition: 9.679 ff., "[Tempter to the Tree:] O Sacred, Wise,
and Wisdom-giving Plant, / Mother of Science . . . . [to Eve:] Queen of
this universe, doe not believe / Those rigid threats of Death. . . .
look on mee, / Mee who have touch'd and tasted, yet both live, / And
life more perfet have attaind then Fate / Meant mee, by ventring higher
then my Lot."

Jesse

Jesse G. Swan, Ph.D.
Associate Professor of English