[Milton-L] Generalizations about marriage; x-post ficino

Dr. Carol Barton cbartonphd at earthlink.net
Tue Nov 9 23:35:43 EST 2004

That's not the point, Dan. In Chaucer's time, there were ordinances that
approved marital sex only on specific dates -- the fact that such laws
existed doesn't mean they were enforced -- or enforceable. (Imagine being
the constable in charge of ensuring public adherence.)

If everyone followed Paul's advice, and practiced celibacy, there would soon
be no one to engage in it.

Alisoun was not joking, and neither am I.

I don't think you can generalize about sex in marriage in either
direction -- especially in the period to which you are referring. If you do,
I'd like to see your evidence for the contention that most people adhered to
such rules -- in Chaucer's time, or Milton's time, or anyone else's.

Best to all,

Carol Barton

---