[Milton-L] Generalizations about marriage; x-post ficino

Dan Knauss daniel.knauss at mu.edu
Tue Nov 9 22:21:40 EST 2004

We're not talking about the same thing; you didn't specify which of the
WoB's unorthodox assertions you were referring to. But even on this
point I think it's very doubtful that even a "pro-feminist" reading of
Chaucer can plausibly argue for there being any kind of popular
consensus that the official line about marriage vs. celibacy (or
anything else) is a joke to be regarded as devoid of all truth and
value. You can find all kinds of official dogma criticized and joked
about hundreds of years before there is are really major, overt changes
in belief and practice. Milton did not follow Chaucer by one generation.