[Milton-L] Free will in Eden

Dr. Carol Barton cbartonphd at earthlink.net
Tue Nov 9 20:40:44 EST 2004

See also Marjorie Hope Nicolson on Adam and Eve's first argument
(prelapsarian) in which Prof. Nicolson likens Eve to a rebellious teenager.
(An recurrent Internet joke that pits God the father against daughter Eve
and son Adam plays on the same notion -- albeit a little more comically.) It
was Northrop Frye, I believe, who said that human beings would have quickly
died of boredom, had we remained in Paradise. But Eve herself is the one who
makes the case about "virtue unattempted" -- which is NOT the same thing as
vice. The idea is that there IS but "one Easie prohibition": the test is a
simple (if arbitrary) one, and easily passed. To do good, all Adam and Eve
have to do is *not* do evil. (This was a different world from the one that
would be inhabited by Edmund Burke.)

Adam displays his ability to reason after Eve's dream (in Book IV), in Book
VIII in conversation with Raphael, and again in Book IX, when Eve suggests
that they will work better separate -- and are otherwise "strait'n'd by a
foe."

I hope this quick ramble is helpful in some way . . .

Best to all,

Carol Barton