[Milton-L] Blue Plaque Progress

Dr. Carol Barton cbartonphd at earthlink.net
Thu Nov 4 17:26:40 EST 2004

Dear fellow toilers in the vineyard,

I'm pleased to report that Milton has cleared the first hurdle for a commemorative "blue plaque" in the City of London, per the message from the Corporation of London, below:

Your application for a blue plaque to commemorate John Milton, has been historically verified with our Records and Archive Department.  The next stage is for officers from the Corporation of London to conduct a site inspection, where a suitable location for the plaque is agreed. Then our City Surveyor's department negotiate with the building owners to obtain permission for the plaque to be placed in the agreed location, a licence is then drawn up. The final stage is for our Department of Technical Services to create a plaque and erect it in the correct position.

The whole process can often be a lengthy one due to the many departments and outside people involved.  I would hope that a site visit will happen by the end of November, after which I will contact you to keep you updated on the progress of your blue plaque application. In the meantime I thank you for your patience.

Let's hope he doesn't have to wait another four centuries for rightful recognition in the city of his birth and death. (My first application for this plaque was filed in 1998!)

Best to all,

Carol Barton

---