[Milton-L] web resources for teaching poetry

merlinjones merlin77_7 at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 3 09:18:04 EST 2004

Ma'am,

     You might have heard of this one:) but the
Introductory Guide to Critical Theory put out by
Purdue is online and really nice. As a student, I must
say that it is just the swellest thing going because
you can read of some of the very great thinkers of
literature and learn of supplemental reading to be had
that can allow you to increase your knowledge.

here is the hyperlink...

http://www.sla.purdue.edu/academic/engl/theory/

It covers all of these great folks..

This has been cut and pasted...

The Modules now available are for Sigmund Freud,
Jacques Lacan and Julia Kristeva (under
Psychoanalysis); for Roland Barthes, Peter Brooks, and
Algirdas Greimas (under Narratology); for Michel
Foucault and Judith Butler (under Gender and Sex); for
Karl Marx, Fredric Jameson and Louis Althusser (under
Marxism); for Michel Foucault and Stephen Greenblatt
(under New Historicism); and for Linda Hutcheon, Jean
Baudrillard, and Fredric Jameson (under
Postmodernism).

This web site...

http://www.erraticimpact.com/default.htm

is just as swell as the other one, but it is far more
academic in nature and not as introductory. it is
really for the philosophy of literature.

the literary encyclopedia...

http://www.litencyc.com/

Has a great many resources. If you look at the portion
of the homepage that says other, there is a link that
says guide...this link has a nice list of terms and
all of that. It is a very nice web site because it is
far less heavy than any huge book!

the London School of Journalism...

http://www.english-literature.org/resources/

Has the motherload of links that are very good for
what you need for your students. I have not checked to
see if every link is working, it is a huge web site!

This is a very basic timeline of British Literature...

http://www.studyguide.org/brit_lit_timeline.htm

It is nice if you are a student and are not very well
read with history, like myself!

A handbook of rhetorical devices is found here...

http://www.virtualsalt.com/rhetoric.htm

It is not about the most ancient forms or anything,
but it is fair enough. The main web site, the homepage
for this is here...

http://www.virtualsalt.com/index.htm

The have "reading notes" that are just something I
would not look at! But, their little glossary is neato
and a good spring board for further reading.

I am an undergraduate student and these web sites are
fine to me. Except the "reading notes" on the last web
site, those are silly. Hopefully, this will help you.

peace

--- "Duran, Angelica" <ADuran at sla.purdue.edu> wrote:

> Dear scholars,
>
> I was wondering if any of you know of a wonderful
> web resource for poetic and/or literary terms, as
> good as the one for rhetorical devices referenced in
> past weeks on this listserv.  I would like to assign
> my Spring semester students a web resource rather
> than my usual  Abrams' _Glossary of Literary Terms_
> or Shaw's _Concise Dictionary of Literary Terms_.
> Thank you.
>
> Adios,
>
> Angelica Duran
> Assistant Professor
> English Department
> Purdue University
> 500 Oval Drive
> West Lafayette, Indiana 47907-2048
> USA
> (765) 496-3957, phone
> (765) 494-3780, fax
> <aduran at sla.purdue.edu>

=====
Haz el bien, y no mires a quién.

Death is a commingling of eternity with time; in the death of a good man, eternity is seen looking through time.

~ Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe ~