[Milton-L] St. John and Jeremiah

Alice Berghof aberghof at es.nacs.uci.edu
Mon Mar 15 21:55:53 EST 2004

Three questions:
1. Has any of you ever heard an echo of Jeremiah in the allusion to St.
John in the beginning of Book IV?
2. What is the difference, if any, between Milton's conception of
grammatical mood and Ramus', given that Ramus believed it to be a
function not of grammar but of free will?
3. Would Milton have agreed with Ramus that grammar, rhetoric and logic
should be distinct?

Forgive the cryptic nature of this message; I am finishing my
dissertation and short on time.  I would be grateful to anyone who
could point me in the direction of an answer to any of these questions.

- Alice Berghof