[Milton-L] Did John Milton write this quote? If so, where can I find it?

Steve Fallon fallon.1 at nd.edu
Mon Mar 15 21:39:54 EST 2004

The passages are from Milton's Christian Doctrine.  For the first,
look in Yale volume 6, pp. 317-18 (or in the Columbia Works, vol. 15,
p. 40).  For the second look on p. 400 of the Yale.

Steve Fallon

>I am doing research on Christian Mortalism. What I am studying are
>the diverse beliefs
>concerning the soul; whether it is mortal or immortal. I have a
>quote supposedly from
>The Prose Works of John Milton, Volume 4. I have looked through both
>books Part I and
>Part II and I can't find it. Do you recognize this quote and can you
>tell me where I can find it?
>
>"It may be inferred, unless we had rather take the heathen writers
>for our teachers
>respecting the nature of the soul, that man is a living being,
>intrinsically and properly one individual not compounded or
>separable, not according to the common opinion made up and formed of
>two distinct and separate natures as of a soul and body; but the
>whole man is a soul, and the soul man." "The death of the body is
>the loss or extinction of life. The common definition, which
>supposes it to consist in the separation of soul and body is
>inadmissible."

Stephen M. Fallon
Program of Liberal Studies and Department of English
368 Decio Hall
U of Notre Dame
Notre Dame, IN 46556

574/631-6598 o